5 Tips to Stop Frozen Pipes
The cold weather is about to begin and it is not all fun and games as our kids like us to believe.Your houseful of pipes are definitely not looking forward to the winter season. SERVPRO of Pewaukee & Sussex have handled a countless number of broken and busted pipes from the freezing weather every year. Trust us, you are not alone, every year, over 250,000 properties suffer water damage from frozen pipes that burst (Federal Emergency Management Association). SERVPRO of Pewaukee & Sussex are sharing these tips to prevent frozen pipes that may lead to water damage.
Preventing Pipes from Freezing in Wisconsin (Easier Than You Think):
- Take a peak in the attic and basement especially near exterior walls and see if the pipes are insulated.
- Wrap uninsulated pipes with pipe insulation, you can pick this up at every hardware store
- If your Attic and Basement are poorly insulated, take a gander to the hardware store and get some insulation to keep the inside of your house a bit warmer. This tip also saves you money on your energy bill.
- Every few days turn on those faucets, even if you do not use them just to keep the water moving through the pipes
- Probably one of the big culprits is the outside hose. Make sure to turn off the water to the outside as this will always be the most likely to freeze.